Sunday, January 3, 2010

Okay, there is no such thing as Santa Claus

I hate to break it to myself, but he doesn't exist. At least in the POI form. Santa lost his official POI status on New Year's Eve, by completely bumbling into the category of tasteless idiocracy. He invited an ex-reindeer and myself to the same intimate gathering at the workshop, with other elves and reindeer. All was well and good at the north pole until Santa slyly chose the ex-reindeer to launch his sleigh into the new year. And this little reindeer? She made the best of a bad situation with an ex-elf of hers and then bailed. Yuck, yuck, and more yuck.

New Year's often brings us a chance for reflection. As I look forward to another single year in the city of subdued excitement, I'm optimistic. I realized the other night when the north pole was caving in that I have some really amazing people in my life and sometimes I overlook them for the big players, such as Santa. What about all of the wonderful, hardworking, creative elves that really run the toy workshop? I'm no longer going to allow myself to pigeonhole my relationships with men to those that I date, and those I don't date. I need to keep expanding upon my lovely friendships that have been growing with the not-so-fair sex. I think maybe dating is entirely overrated and that perhaps, a love can grow out of familiarity, ease, and respect. Forget the completely forced nature of the date, per se, and embrace the casual enjoyment of friendship while keeping the love door open.

To be clear, I'm not saying that I'm ready to fall in love with my male friends. Actually those relationships are so dear to me that I'm afraid I'd wreck them if the line between friendship and lover were crossed. I'm just now acutely aware of the relationship I will eventually be involved in because of what being with my friends has allowed me to feel. I believe a relationship based on a secure friendship first, allowing for a freedom to love without questioning myself or my partners motives.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jenni,
    I just had to chime in to agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly. Relationships, as I have observed and also participated in, are best when they grow out of a pre-established friendship. When the romance isn't at the fevered pitch of first love, it's nice if the person you are with is still someone you'd enjoy hanging out at Perkins with. I, of course, ended up with someone who saw me through the unbearably awkward teen years, through idiotic drunken college experiences, and still felt like he could reproduce with me. There is great comfort in that.

    I'm enjoying your blog, keep writing!

    ReplyDelete